In March 1647, with the shipwreck of the Dutch ship Nieuwe Haarlem, began the Dutch
settlement in the zone, the shipwreck victims, built a small fort named "Sand Fort
of the Cape of Good Hope".
They stayed for nearly one year at the Cape, finally they were rescued by a fleet
of 12 ships under the command of W.G. de Jong, on one of these ships was also Jan
After their return in Holland a part of the shipwrecked tryed to persuade the Dutch
East India Company to open a trading center at the Cape.
In 1652, a Dutch expedition
of 90 Calvinist settlers, under the command of Jan Van Riebeeck, founded the first
permanent settlement near the Cape of Good Hope.
They arrived, on 6 April 1652, on board of five ships, the Reijer, the Oliphant,
the Goede Hoop, the Walvisch end the Dromedaris in the bay of today's Cape Town.
Approximately 16 km from Avontuur the Route 62 goes through Haarlem with its missionary
During 1856, this town was given to the European people, but in 1860 it was given
to the Berlin missionary society.
This new station was called Anhalt-Schmidt in memory of Friedrich Prietsch, the first
missionary from Anhalt in Germany